Diet for Second Month of Pregnancy:
During the second month of pregnancy, careful diet is mandatory, which Foods to Eat and Avoid. Pregnancy is a crucial and joyous feeling for every couple. This feeling cannot be defined in words. The first three months of the pregnancy are very important and needs to be taken care of with utmost care.
It the time when all the crucial parts like the spinal cord, circulatory system and heart of your baby is developing in you. Hence it is necessary for you to eat healthy and follow a healthy diet. Food you eat provides essential elements and nutrients to the growing fetus.
What the mother eats decides what nutrients the baby receives. Hence, it is always recommended to include variety of food in your diet when you are pregnant.
Foods to Eat during Second Month of Pregnancy:
A Pregnant Woman should include some Vital Nutrients and Elements in her Diet:
- Folic Acid: It is also known as folate which is a Vitamin B. It is very important element in Pregnancy as it helps the baby to develop the neural tube. Folic acid can be obtained from various sources like spinach, fortified cereals and beans. Folic acid helps the baby to prevent any neural tube defects. Additionally, folic acid supplements are also recommended.
- Iron: In the second month of pregnancy, the blood supply in the body is amplified. Iron has oxygen carrying capacity, which is needed for the baby’s support and oxygen supply. Iron-fortified cereals, dried beans and peas, poultry products, etc. should be added in the diet.
- Calcium: Calcium is required for the development of baby’s bones and teeth. In second month of pregnancy, the baby’s bones begin ossifying. If proper amounts of calcium are not provided then, the mother’s calcium stores are utilized by the baby to meet the pregnancy needs. Best source of calcium is milk and other dairy products.
- Protein: Though protein deficiency doesn’t occur in majority of cases. Protein is needed to ensure proper blood supply to the baby. Low-fat cottage cheese, low mercury fish should be consumed for a good supply of protein.
- Fruits and Vegetables: Green vegetables and fruits are to be included in the diet. This adds essential nutrients required by the baby and mother both.
Foods to Avoid during Second Month of Pregnancy:
A few Foods are Better to be Avoided when you are Pregnant:
- Meat Spreads: Meat spreads contain Listeria. It is really bad for the baby’s growth and development.
- Soft Cheese: It contains E coli, bacteria which can risk infections or can add to pregnancy complications.
- Unpasteurized Milk: It contains pathogens and many micro-organisms. It may contain salmonella and other harmful bacteria which may add to the risk of infections.
- Alcohol: It could lead to birth defects and hence it is a big no for alcohol consumption.
- Raw Eggs: It contains Salmonella which can put both mother and baby to risk of infection and can badly harm both.
Eat healthy and help your fetus grow normally in a healthy way.