How to Control and Manage Depression?
Depending upon the situation, all of us feel sad, but this sadness normally uses to be temporal; I mean, in a few hours or maximum in a few days, it goes and we again start living a normal life. However, if the sadness persists and overcomes your mind almost permanently, then it is no more a simple sadness problem rather it became a mental problem more specifically depression.
So, in this chapter we will discuss the concept, causes, types, and management of depresion.
What is Depression?
As defined by the Worth Health Organization (WHO), Depression is a mental disorder that normally accompanied with depressed mood, decreased energy, loss of interest, feeling low self-wroth (or even guilty), poor concentration, loss of appetite, and sleep disturbance.
Initially, depression remains normal, but over period of time (if not treated) it becomes a major problem and resultantly, patient’s loss the ability to take care of themselves. In extreme cases, depressed people take their lives as well (suicide case).
Signs and Symptoms of Depression:
All people suffering from depression do not show the same signs and symptoms, as it depends upon the duration (i.e. how long he/she is suffering from depression) and other related health problems.
However, some of the common signs and symptoms are:
- Always feeling sad or anxious
- Hopelessness, guilt, worthlessness, or pessimistic feelings
- Loss of interest and feeling not to do anything including sex
- Peevishness, irritability, restlessness
- Low energy level; hence feeling tired even after a small work
- Inability to concentrate
- Unable to remember even the major events of the past
- Inability to take decision
- Sleeping disorder like insomnia, early-morning wakefulness, or excessive sleeping
- Loss of appetite, but in certain case it may be overeating
- In extreme condition, feeling to suicide or even attempting to do so
Causes of Depression:
Unlike other diseases, causes of depresion are complicated; however, in most of the cases, causes are the cumulative result of biochemical, genetic, environmental, and psychological factors.
However, following are the important causes of depression:
- Biochemical Factor: Though it is misunderstood terms; however, as the best understood and defined as disruption in neurotransmitter function. Neurotransmitter is in fact a chemical that transfers signals from one part of the brain to the other part; likewise, there are thousands of such kinds of neurotransmitter. Hence, disruption in this function is one of the reasons of depresion.
- Genetic Factor: It is proven that genetic factor can be a leading cause of depresion. For example, psychotic depression, melancholic depresion, and bipolar depression are the result of genetic factor.
- Health Problem: Some of the illnesses are the potential cause of depresion, as illness changes body’s normal functioning.
- Stress: It is one of the most potential causes of depresion. Long persistent stress leads to depresion.
- Gender: Females are more vulnerable of depresion than males.
- Ageing Factor: As people get older, the chances of getting affected by depression increase. People who have good quality of life; no physical and mental problem, they are resistant, but people who have any such kind of problem easily become the victim of depresion.
- Personality: The people who are shy in nature (fear in public speaking), remain with high level of anxiety and irritability, self-criticism, low self-worthiness, highly sensitive, etc. easily become victims of depresion.
Types of Depressions:
Following are the major types of depression:
- Dysthymic Disorder (Dysthymia): It is a long term (2 years or more) symptoms. Patients are not in condition to behave normally; however, this is not a serious problem and sincere treatment can improve the condition.
- Minor Depression: This is minor depression, which symptoms are 2 weeks or longer old and hence normally does not keep under the category of depresion.
Some other types of Depressions are:
- Psychotic Depression: Under this type of depression, patients normally suffer from hearing problem, hallucinations, having false beliefs, delusions, etc.
- Postpartum Depression: Normally, this type of problems is seen in women, especially after the giving birth of their babies (might be because of wryness of a new responsibility i.e. caring of a new baby).
- Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD): It is seasonal problems, for example, patients might go in depresion state during the winter months and again turn ok in summer season.
- Bipolar Disorder: It is also known as Manic-depressive Illness. Patient suffering from this disorder has cyclic mood change – from extreme low (depression) to extreme high (mania).
How to Control Depression?
Controlling depression is one of the most difficult tasks for the people who are suffering from depresion, but sincere efforts can help them to overcome their depression easily. Depression varies according to the gender as well for the children hence treatment and control techniques are a little different; however, many treatment methods are common.
- Control Depression in Men: Depressed men are normally feel tired, irritable, lose interest, and there is very much possibility that they may turn alcoholic. Therefore, controlling treatment for the men primarily is psychotherapy with medication. Later simple therapy can also be effective to control the problem.
- Control Depression in Women: Unlike men, women with depresion are more likely to have feelings like worthlessness, sadness, and excessive guilt. The most vulnerable time of becoming victim of depresion is after delivery of a baby (increase in responsibility); hence, medication is primary solution to control the depresion. However, if it is more severe, then therapy can also be given with medication.
- Control Depression in Children or Teenagers: As children do not have much understanding of the situation; hence, they avoid to accept the reality, they became peevish, refuse to go school, want to be with parents. However, before the age of 15, both boy and girl have the similar chance of becoming victim of depression, but after 15 (puberty), girls have greater chance of becoming victim of depresion.
So, the treatment to control depression in children is required special attention; parents need to take care properly, encourage them to build confidence, do not admonish or beat (in any condition), and spend maximum time with their children. However, if it is more serious, then it is imperative to consult a doctor.
Problems of Depression:
There are many severe problems because of depression; important of them are:
- Inability to behave normally, as a result of which misunderstanding the relationship
- Inability to perform at work; chance to lose job
- Inability to do own work; chance of health problem
- All collectively lead to mental, health, and financial problems.
Hence, treatment of depresion is the only solution to escape from these problems.
How to Manage Depression?
Management of depression is not a difficult task provided you make hard decision to manage it.
Following are some of the important tips, which practice will help you to manage depression effectively:
- Identify the causes of your depresion
- If it is normal condition, then try to solve the problem first and also do some meditation and yoga
- However, if it is in sever problem, talk to your doctor and follow the prescription
- Keep your confidence always high
- Do not live alone rather make good friends
- Develop interests in watching movie, playing game, etc.
Treatment and Drugs of Depression:
Depression has different types of treatments; depending upon the degree of the patient’s condition, doctor prescribes the treatment.
Treatment could be only one or could be combination of two or more from the following:
- Medication: During the early phase of depression, medication is pretty effective; however, if the problem is greater, then doctor prefers medicines with psychotherapy. Secondly, in severe depresion condition, medicines help fast to stabilize the mental and physical condition. Some of the medicines are Monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MOAIs) – this is older one; Norepinephrine and Dopamine Reuptake Inhibitors (NDRIs) and Serotonin and Norepinephrine Reuptake Inhibitors (SNRIs); these two are newer. Remember; do not try any medicine on your own until your physician prescribes you.
- Psychotherapy: The trained psychotherapist counsels patient and gives mental therapy by facilitating patients to talk about his/her feelings, changing the attitudes and behaviours (those are responsible for depression). This is pretty effective therapy for the depresion patients.
- Electroconvulsive Therapy (ECT): Though this is not accepted, as it is very crude sort of therapy and may cause short and long term memory loss. However, in certain condition, it is pretty effective.
- Besides, massage, acupuncture, relaxation, stress management, and herbal remedies are also important methods of treatment.
Benefits of Controlling Depression:
As depression is a severe mental as well physical problem hence it is essentially need to be treated as soon as it identified.
Treatment on time has many benefits such as:
- Having good mental and physical health that lead to happy life
- Saving of jobs and other source of income
- Saving of relationship
- Saving of money.