How to Control and Manage Stress?
Increasing cost of the products of everyday use, problem with partner, dating anxiety, extra-marital love affair, etc. are the major sources of stress; for the stress, there could be dozens of reasons, difficult to enlist here. However, here it is not important to enlist all, but rather important is your stress (irrespective of the reason) and how to get rid of.
This article discusses the meaning, types, and simple techniques of stress management.
What is Stress?
Stress is a natural human feeling or/and response to a pressure, challenge, or dangerous situation (when face).
This pressure or dangerous situation is not necessarily about what is happening around, but rather could be also about the demands that you place on yourselves. Experiencing stress is an essential part of life, but stress always is not harmful; sometime it helps to increase your alertness and energy to meet challenging situation.
You can be victim of stress from any situation or thought that normally makes you feel angry, frustrated, or anxious. However, every person has different perspective and interprets same situations differently and he/she has also different coping skills/capacity; so, the reason that stresses you not necessarily will also stress your partner or others. This is the reason that in a similar situation, two people (not necessarily, but) respond differently.
However, cause of stress could be anything ranging from a small cause such as late arrival of your girl/boy friend to death of a dearest one. Further, it could be negative as well as positive.
Example of Negative Stressor:
- The death of a life partner or any dear one
- Losing contact with loved ones
- Filing for divorce
- Injury or illness or other health problem (oneself or a family member)
- Hospitalization (oneself or a family member)
- Abused or neglected by someone
- Extramarital love affairs
- Conflict or dispute in interpersonal relationships
- Financial problems
- Job threat
- Lack of training in-dispensable for a job
- Making presentations (first time) in front of colleagues or clients
- Children’s problems (of any sort)
- Legal issue
- Inadequate or substandard housing
- Conflicts with team mates and supervisors/boss
- Unproductive and time-consuming meetings
- Commuting and travel schedules
- Sudden news of loss (of any sort)
Examples of Positive Stressor:
- Receiving a promotion (at work place)
- Starting a new job or going for the interview
- Marriage or commitment ceremony
- Moving to a new place
- Planning for a vacation
- Planning Holiday seasons
- Buying a home or a car
- Having a child
- First time going on dating
- Purposing to your boy/girl friend
- Taking educational classes or learning a new hobby
Remember, these lists are comprehensive, but necessarily not conclusive. These two lists can be much larger.
Signs and Symptoms:
Signs and symptoms of stress are not a fixed type rather they are of following categories:
Moods: When you are feeling stressed, your mood could be like:
Thought: Your thought process would be like:
- Overestimating the difficult situation or danger
- Irresistible worries and catastrophic thoughts
- Underestimating your ability to cope up
- Underestimating the help might available
Physical Symptoms: Your physical system could be anything; it could be small or very big, for example:
- Light headache
- Muscle tension
- Racing heart
- Sweaty palms
- Flushed cheeks, etc.
Behaviours: You might behave as:
- Trying to avoiding situation where stress might occur
- Leaving situation when stress feelings begin
- Trying to perform the assignment perfectly, otherwise, it may lead to difficult situation.
Types of Stress:
Normally, stress is of two types:
- Acute Stress: It is common stress that most of us experience. Surprising to share, but the short term acute stress is thrilling; however, if it transforms into long term then it is exhaustive. It’s reason could be (present or) all of sudden sad news or any such kind of shocking news; pressures of the recent past; or anticipated demands for the near future.
- Chronic Stress: The stress that remains for long years is known as chronic stress. It could be because of any reason such as traumatic experience in childhood, unsolved financial problem, incurable disease, no career hope, unhappy marriage, etc. Chronic stress is very dangerous, as it controls minds, weakens bodies, and destroys life. Chronic stress wears patients’ life day after day, month after month, and year after year.
How Stress Effects?
Effects of stress are not similar for all; it varies person to person; some people remain into shock, some perform more to treat; some eat very less (loss of appetite), but some eat more (increase of hunger); some perform good and some very bad. So, effects of stress are not same for all.
However, stress affects our body very badly; its impact on:
- Hair: under stress, you might face hair fall problem.
- Heart: Excessive stress might cause hypertension or other cardiovascular disease.
- Brain: Long time persistent stress may cause insomnia, irritability, anxiety, headaches, personality changes, and depression.
- Lung: Stress may further worsen the people who are already suffering from lung problem such as asthma etc.
- Reproductive Organs: Stress affects reproductive system very badly, as it causes impotence and premature ejaculation (in men) and menstrual disorders and recurrent vaginal infections (in women).
How to Control Stress:
Honestly, controlling stress is a difficult task, BUT of course it is not an impossible task. With consistent effort, you can control stress.
Following are the tips to control stress:
- Realize your stress: Do not try to suppress, rather realize it.
- Don’t get Panic: Frightening and panic feeling can further increase your stress, so be calm and have patience.
- Find the cause/s: In most of the conditions, causes are known; however, find the immediate cause.
- Find the best possible solution: Find the best possible immediate solution.
- Channelize your Thought: Try to divert your thought by thinking some other creative or pleasurable thing.
- Meet and Talk: Don’t be alone, meet with your dear one, go for movie or walk, talk on your favourite topic (that interests you).
How to Prevent and Manage Stress?
Prevention and management of stress a technical act that you need to do very sincerely and consistently. It is not like a day, a week, or even a month work (especially in a condition, when you are suffering chronic stress) rather you have to keep patience for long time and work on this for long time consistently. Don’t worry, it is not very difficult; however, all you need to do is change your life style by adopting certain things, such as:
- Healthy Eating: Do not ignore your food; take nutritious and healthy diet on time.
- Physical Exercise/Yoga: Yoga is one of the perfect techniques that helps to relieve you from stress; practice every day.
- Meditation: Practice meditation at least 15 minutes (you can do as much as you wish to do) every day.
- Find Solution of Existing Problems: Don’t be helpless, try to find the possible solution. Remember, every problem has solution.
- Keep your Confidence High: Don’t lose your confidence irrespective of the size of problem.
- Discuss your Problem: Don’t keep your problem in your mind, rather discuss it with the person whom you trust most.
- Find Regular Source of Entertainment: Entertainment is one of the most essential elements of life; so, keep doing it.