What are the Surprising Benefits of Broccoli?
Do your want to know the surprising benefits of Broccoli? Broccoli is one of the vegetables which looks as good as it is for the health. It belongs to the family of Cabbages. This cool season crop actually needs fertile land and well drained soil to grow. Biologically Broccoli belongs to a family named cruciferous family.
It somewhat has a relation with vegetables like cabbage, cauliflower, kale and Brussels sprouts etc. Being rich in nutrients, these vegetables are sometimes referred as ‘Super Veggies’. Broccolis are low in calories, but high in Vitamins, Minerals and fiber. Some common reasons to eat Broccolis are:
Nutrient Facts of Broccoli:
The most important Vitamins of Broccoli are K and C. These essential vitamins are a solution for blood clotting, building Collagen, healing cuts and wounds. The Folate of Broccoli helps in growth of tissue and cell function. Broccoli also contains a significant amount of Potassium, Manganese, and Iron, which are essential minerals for keeping the body functions normally like lowering the blood pressure or transporting oxygen in the red blood cells.
The plant compounds that can be found on Broccoli are, Sulforaphane and Indole-3-carbinol which can prevent cancer. The compound Carotenoids is good for eye health, Kaempferol, which is better for heart health and Quercetin which is known for lowering the blood pressure.
The Health Benefits of Broccoli:
- Consumption of cruciferous vegetables like Broccoli lowers the risk of lungs and colon cancer. The compound named Sulforaphane which can be found in cruciferous vegetables that have a property to fight with cancer. The Vitamin named Folate decreases the chances of Breast cancer in women.
- Broccoli is a good storage of Vitamin K. Vitamin K ensures the improvement of bone health by increasing the ability of Calcium in your bone. It also reduces the disposition of calcium through your urine.
- Broccoli contains a good deal of natural fiber. Consuming these natural fibers can prevent constipation. This is most likely to prevent the colon cancer. The healthy fiber of the Broccoli also helps to remove the toxins from the body through the stools and bile. As a result, the internal system of the body remains healthy.
- The phytonutrients like thiocyanates, indoles, isothiocyanates, sulforaphane and flavonoids like beta-carotene cryptoxanthin, lutein, and zeaxanthin are stored in a Broccoli. These elements help your body to fight against problems in prostate, bladder, pancreatic diseases.
Beauty (Skin and Eye) Benefits of Broccoli:
- The Vitamin C in broccoli helps our skin to fight against the damage made by sun and pollution. It also improves skin textures and helps in reducing the effect of daily damages and makes your skin smoother. It also helps you in reducing wrinkles and fine lines from your face make you look younger.
- The carotenoids in broccoli, named lutein and zeaxanthin, helps in reducing eye disorders which can be cropped up by age. The broccoli contains beta-carotene, in the body this beta carotene converts to Vitamin A. As a result, this reduces the chances of eye problems which can be caused by the lack of Vitamin A.
The cooking method of Broccoli can really affect in preserving the Vital Nutrients of this amazing vegetable. The method of boiling the Broccolis can damage the essential nutrients, while roasting, stir-frying or steaming can keep the nutrients of the broccolis intact.