Are you Suffering with Ulcer?
Ulcer is an open sore on an external or internal surface of the body. It is normally caused because of the failure to heal the break in the skin or mucous membrane. Ulcers range from small, painful sores in the mouth to bedsores and serious lesions of the stomach or intestine. This article discusses here the peptic-ulcer.
A peptic ulcer is normally a sore on the inner lining of the stomach or duodenum; basically the first part of the small intestine. Though it is not common, but a peptic-ulcer may also develop just above the stomach in the esophagus i.e. the part of the body that connects the mouth to the stomach.
Causes of Peptic Ulcer:
Following are the Important Causes of Peptic Ulcer:
- Long-term use of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs); for example, aspirin and ibuprofen.
- A bacterium infection.
- Presence of excessive acid in the stomach because of any reason such as genetic problem, lifestyle problems (such as stress, smoking, etc.), or may be because of some particular foods.
- Zollinger-Ellison syndrome – it is a rare disease that forces the body to produce excess stomach acid.
Signs and Symptoms of Peptic Ulcer:
Following are the Important Signs and Symptoms of Peptic-Ulcer:
- Usual pain in the area between the chest and belly button (during night)
- No hunger or mood to eat normally because of pain
- Weight loss
- Nausea or vomiting
- Heartburn (normal burning sensation in the chest)
- Burping or acid reflux
- Pain increases after taking food, drink, etc.
Diagnosis of Peptic Ulcer:
Peptic-Ulcer normally Diagnosed on the basis of:
- Medical history of the patient
- Physical exam of the patient
- Lab tests (such as blood test, urea breath test, and stool test)
- Upper Gastrointestinal Series: It is an X-ray exam to diagnose the peptic-ulcer
- Upper Gastrointestinal (GI) Endoscopy: Expert inserts a small and flexible camera with a light to diagnose the upper GI tract
- Computerized Tomography (CT) Scans: It is a combination of X- rays and computer technology to create images.
Treatment and Drugs of Peptic Ulcer:
Depending upon the Nature of Problem, it can be treated by:
- Antibiotics: It is drug that prescribed by doctors in normal case.
- Proton Pump Inhibitors (PPIs): It is medication that is given to reduce stomach acid, helps to relieve peptic-ulcer pain, and supports healing.
- Bismuth Subsalicylate: It is medication that contains bismuth subsalicylate, such as Pepto Bismol, coats a peptic-ulcer and protects it from the stomach acid.
- Histamine Receptor Blockers: It is the medicine that helps to block histamine, a substance that stimulates acid production.
- Antacids: It temporarily reduces the pain, but in long run, not much fruitful.
- Surgery to remove entire ulcer.
Prevention from Peptic Ulcer:
Though it is difficult to prevent, as you don’t know how the bacteria will attack.
However, following are the Precaution that one should take to Protect from Ulcer Problem:
- Wash hands properly with soap and water after every use of the bathroom and before eating.
- Cook food with only clean water and at clean space; as well as use properly washed pots for cooking.
- Drink only purified water.
- If possible, change your life style and avoid smoking and drinking.